By: Alanna Pokorski, PT, DPT
As we wrap all of those perfectly selected gifts in their shiny wrapping paper, it can put a toll on our spine! We are being asked by our patients this holiday season… “what is the best way to wrap presents without getting sore?”
Here are five ways to reduce strain on your neck this holiday season:
- Choose a work station where your neck isn’t as flexed or looking directly down. Often, sitting is a better position because you often can wrap at eye level.
- Taking breaks after 20-30 minutes breaks of wrapping and stretching can offset the posture.
- Be sure that you aren’t slouching! Slouching creates stress on your shoulders and neck.
- Space your wrapping out rather than completing all of it in one day or evening.
- Relax your shoulders! During holiday stress, we can hike our shoulders up. Keep them down when wrapping.
Follow these tips and your neck will thank you! If your pain persists, please seek the advice of your PT.